Well I’ve always wanted to write more of the things around home,like Indian cinema,things that well are somewhat peculiar to the rest of the world,and what better way to start than a post about one person who’s influenced Indian Cinema more than any other.
I grew up watching Rajnikanth. His movies made up a part of my childhood that will influence me and so many other starry eyed kids who looked at the “SuperStar” on screen and off.There are many many reasons why this man is a legend, but I will state the ones that are less obvious to people who have not seen his movies.
There are three angles to the public perception of the superstar.
1. Rajnikanth as an actor
2. Rajnikanth as a human being
3. Rajnikanth as the embodiment of an ideal
And because he is as bad-ass in real life as the characters he plays on screen, these three things have all blended into one “brand”.
You have to understand that this man is pure energy on screen. Speed mother *insert appropriate swear word* – look how fast he beats all those bad guys up. The roaring, screaming fans that run in to his movies and dance and make a ruckus – all of them – every last one of them pauses when Rajnikanth’s eyes are in focus on screen. They know deep in their hearts that they can never make enough noise to break the silence in his one glance.
Rajnikanth movie scripts are Shakespearean in drama. Nothing bad happens to him – only terrible things do and he does nothing good – only great things.
No one – not one single actor alive that I know of puts so much emotion and intensity into the one quality that Rajnikanth has perfected on screen – righteous rage. Rowthiram.
Rajnikanth never goes back on his promise and he never makes promises he breaks. He has never chased power, money, women or fame. He doesn’t endorse brands. His philanthropy is mostly secret and he treats everyone with respect. What’s not to admire?
The biggest question that people who did not grow up in Tamil Nadu have about his movies is this:
He does outrageous stunts and gimmicks, why on earth do you like them?
We don’t like his stunts and gimmicks in themselves – we like it because HE is doing it. The thing about Rajni is that he is convincing as an actor. When he is sad on screen, you feel sad. When he is angry, you feel angry. When he kicks a rowdy and the rowdy flies into an electric transformer – you feel like you have taken revenge on everyone who has done you injustice.
And as much famous as the man, these small jokes or rather “quips” seem to be quite famous on the internet,
1. Rajanikanth makes onions cry
2. Rajanikanth can delete the Recycle Bin.
3. Ghosts are actually caused by Rajanikanth killing people faster than Death can process them.
4. Rajanikanth can build a snowman….. out of rain.
5. Rajanikanth can strangle you with a cordless phone.
6. Rajanikanth can drown a fish.
7. When Rajanikanth enters a room, he doesn’t turn the lights on,…………. he turns the dark off.
8. When Rajanikanth looks in a mirror the mirror shatters, because not even glass is stupid enough to get in between Rajanikanth and Rajanikanth.
9. Brett Favre can throw a football over 50 yards. Rajanikanth can throw Brett Favre even further. 10. The last digit of pi is Rajanikanth. He is the end of all things.
11. Rajanikanth does not know where you live, but he knows where you will die.
12. Bullets dodge Rajanikanth.
13. A Handicap parking sign does not signify that this spot is for handicapped people. It is actually in fact a warning, that the spot belongs to Rajanikanth and that you will be handicapped if you park there.
14. Rajanikanth’ calendar goes straight from March 31st to April 2nd, no one fools Rajanikanth.
15. If you spell Rajanikanth wrong on Google it doesn’t say, “Did you mean Rajanikanth? ” It simply replies, “Run while you still have the chance.”
16. Rajanikanth can do a wheelie on a unicycle.
17. Once a cobra bit Rajanikanth’ leg. After five days of excruciating pain, the cobra died.
18. When Rajanikanth gives you the finger, he’s telling you how many seconds you have left to live.
19. Rajanikanth can kill two stones with one bird.
20. Rajanikanth was once on Celebrity Wheel of Fortune and was the first to spin. The next 29 minutes of the show consisted of everyone standing around awkwardly, waiting for the wheel to stop.
For more: http://www.rajinikanthjokes.com/
Jokes aside(Quite literally) .
But I would like to mention that these are mostly Chuck Norris Jokes substituted in principle. Some would say he is the Chuck Norris of India, some would not.
Rajnikanth in one word is a Phenomenon.
It is not something that we associate with an individual . Rajnikanth is beyond acting , stardom and all the other paraphernalia associated with glitz and glamour .
The phenomenon is being he brings an innate simplicity to the world generally associated with the dichotomy of the arc lights . He carries a yogic aura . And all of this in encompassed in a modest and grounded manner .
And the movies.
He makes them move. Probably the only person in the world today who has the charisma to change the landscape of thought through his movies . Just the numbers provide substance . More fan clubs , more fans , more presence than any one else and more of everything .
And this all from a man who is maintains an almost ascetic simplicity .
An Emperor . Not of movies , money or material .
But of people ‘s minds and thoughts .